Thursday, 31 January 2013

Sisterhood and bickery..

Most of the time my children bicker.  From the moment I wake up in the morning all I can hear is bickering.  Bicker, bicker, shout, cry, bicker.

About who is going to collect the milk from the doorstep.  About who is going to get the Cheerios out of the cupboard.  About who is going to open the front door, or cuddle the cat or choose the TV channel, or get the biggest piece of chicken pie for supper.   On it goes.  On and on and on. 

I'm sure it's what drives us mothers to the wine bottle (or the gin).

If there is any opportunity to bicker, they'll grab it.  It's some weird masochistic obsession of theirs that it is far more fun to argue than to love each other.  Is this normal sibling rivalry?  I'd love to get to the bottom of what causes it.  They can't be jealous of the attention they each respectively get from us because we treat them, in the main, all the same.  But the problem does seem to stem from some kind of jealousy which I can't put my finger on.  Plus the reason for the jealousy seems to be on shifting sands.  For example one minute it's because the eldest one isn't getting as many cuddles as the youngest (I want to be the baby, sulk), but later the same day it will be because she wants to stay up later (I want to be the grown up, sulk). 

The confusion and conundrums of the young.

Last weekend I took my middle daughter to my mother's for the weekend - on her own.  She probably gets the least attention being in the middle and is the least bothered by everything, so I thought she deserved some time with me on her own.  But what did she do?  From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, she moaned about being bored, lonely and missing her sisters.

This morning, as we walked to school, this happened (see picture). 

Quite spontaneously, quite suddenly, a rare moment of sisterhood and mutual understanding.

4 comments:

nappy valley girl said...

Lovely picture!
I think girls do bicker (more than boys, anyway), from what I've seen of friends' daughters. I definitely fought with my little sister, but we loved each other dearly as well (and still do).

susan said...

my two niggle constantly and it drives me INSANE. And just when I think, I can't stand it a minute more, there they will be, sharing a joke, or a project, or simply enjoying each others company.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! How do I get in contact with you to invite you to an event we're holding?

Bush Mummy said...

Hi you can follow me on twitter @belles Bush Mummy and ill dm you my deets.